Blue Nile Traders is a non-profit ministry, recognized by the IRS as a 501c3 organization. We donate all profits to the Yezelalem Minch Children & Community Development project in Ethiopia to support its work with widows and orphans affected by HIV.
Blue Nile is a 100% volunteer operation, a literal “mom and pop” venture: Mom and Dad with three adult sons (2 of them married), seven grandchildren (including 3 refugees from Eritrea and the Congo), 2 sons adopted from Ethiopia, 2 daughters adopted from Ethiopia, and 5 who are either in or have graduated out of a refugee foster care program (from Central America and Asia). We work in partnership with Bethany Christian Services (our adoption and foster care agency).
Blue Nile is even more than a fair trade brand! A fair trade brand pays farmers/producers a fair and living wage, but in most cases, also makes a profit for the distributor. Blue Nile Traders is a registered 501c3 non-profit ministry. ALL of our profits are donated to support Yezelalem Minch in Ethiopia and its work with widows and orphans affected by HIV. Everyone wins!
Originally our coffee was purchased from farmers and brokers in the Addis Ababa region of Ethiopia and roasted by women who participate in a self-help group at Yezelalem Minch. These were the early days. Because we have grown and are not able to keep our supply up in this way, we also purchase Ethiopian Yirgacheffe beans that are fresh roasted in the USA on demand. This option insures us a more reliable, consistent and fresh product to sell.
- You can purchase LOTS of Blue Nile coffee, knowing that 100% of our profits support Yezelalem Minch! And tell your friends that they can feed orphans in Ethiopia while enjoying their every cup of coffee.
- Become an advocate for orphans in Ethiopia by selling Blue Nile Traders coffee at your church or among your friends, placing a regular large order. If you are interested in partnering with us in this way, please contact us and we can tell you how this is currently working in a number of locations.
- Donate to Blue Nile Traders with tax-deductible gifts. Donate online or contact us to arrange such a gift.
- Sponsor a child at Yezelalem Minch through Helps Ministries.
- Join our subscription club and have your coffee delivered to you on regular basis (every month, every 2 or 3 months).
Yezelalem Minch is an orphan care and community development program based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The organization cares for orphaned and vulnerable children, many of whom have lost their parents because of HIV/AIDS. It also helps HIV/AIDS affected mothers provide for their children by helping them start small businesses – for example, roasting coffee, or producing other crafts. The organization was started and is run by an Ethiopian staff. The program began with a husband and wife helping two children in 2001, and today provides care to more than 1,500 children in multiple locations.